- 1 Procedure for Online PAN card application in India
- 2 How to Apply for PAN?
Procedure for Online PAN card application in India
Dear reader, we all know the importance and usage of pan card in India. PAN card has numerous uses.
Whether it is opening a bank account, applying for a credit card or taking a new mobile SIM, PAN requires everywhere. It also serves the purpose of photo id proof i.e., it can be used as an identity proof.
Thus, it is recommended for every Indian citizen, they must have a valid PAN card. Having a valid PAN card will enable you to enter into various financial transactions where quoting of PAN is mandatory.
It will also increase your credibility in the eyes of financial institution/ Tax authority.
Applying for a PAN is fast and simple. You can fill and submit your PAN application online through NSDL TIN website. Process for applying PAN is partly online and partly offline.
You can fill and submit your PAN card application online using Form49A. Once you fill up and submit your application (Form49A) successfully, an acknowledgement form is generated.
You’ll have to send this acknowledgement duly signed, affixed with photograph along with DD (if any), proof of identity, and proof of address & date of birth as specified in the application form to NSDL office for processing of pan application.
Application is verified & processed and PAN Card shipped directly to your communication address.
So, before you proceed further to know the process – how to apply for PAN card online, you must know what are the documents require to furnish for PAN Card application.
Documents Required for PAN Card Application
For PAN card application, the applicant is required to submit his or her proof of identity, proof of address and proof date of birth.
Applicant is required to furnish or enclose the proof of identity, proof of address and date of birth along with DD (if any) at the time of sending acknowledgement form to NSDL or submitting it at any TIN Facilitation Center.
Documents as a Proof of identity
A copy of any one of these documents is acceptable as ID proof and can be furnished for PAN card application:
- Aadhaar Card issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India
- Voter Photo Id card
- Driving licence
- Ration card having photograph of the applicant
- Arms license
- Photo identity card issued by the CG, SG or PSU (CG=Central Government, SG= State Government, PSU= Public Sector Undertaking)
- Pensioner card having photograph of the applicant
- Central Government Health Service Scheme Card or Ex-Servicemen Contributory Health Scheme photo card
- Certificate of identity in original signed by a Member of Parliament or Member of Legislative Assembly or Municipal Councilor or a Gazetted officer
- Bank certificate in original on letter head from the branch (along with name and stamp of the issuing officer) containing attested photograph and bank account number of the applicant
Documents as a Proof of Address
Along with a photo identity, an applicant has to enclose an address proof in pan acknowledgement form. Any of the following documents can be accepted as a proof of address for PAN card application:
- Copy of Aadhaar issued by the Unique Identification Authority of India
- Copy of Electricity bill
- Copy Landline telephone or broadband connection bill
- Copy of Water bill
- Consumer gas connection card or book or piped gas bill
- Copy of Bank account statement
- Copy of Depository account statement
- Copy Credit card statement
- Copy of Driving licence
- Copy of Passport
- Copy of Elector’s photo identity card
- Copy of Passport of the spouse
- Copy of Post office passbook having address of the applicant
- Latest property tax assessment order
- Copy of Property registration
- Employer certificate in original
- Certificate of address signed by MP/MLA/Municipal Councilor/Gazetted Officer
- Copy of domicile certificate issued by the govt.
- Copy of allotment letter of accommodation issued by Central or State Government of not more than three years old
Documents as a Proof of Date of Birth
Date of birth proof of PAN applicant to be enclosed at the time of sending acknowledgement form to NSDL TIN office.
A copy of any one of these documents can be accepted as proof of date of birth:
- Matriculation certificate
- Marriage certificate issued by Registrar of Marriages
- Driving licence
- Domicile certificate issued by the government
- Affidavit sworn before a magistrate stating the date of birth
- Birth Certificate issued by the Municipal Authority or any office authorised to issue Birth and Death Certificate by the Registrar of Birth and Deaths or the Indian Consulate
- Mark Sheet of recognised board
- Elector’s Photo Identity Card
- Pension payment order
How to Apply for PAN?
Steps for Online New PAN Application – Form 49A
Step1– Go to NSDL TIN website https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/ and click on “New PAN for Indian Citizens (Form 49A)”
Application for New PAN window opens up. Read the important instructions & guidelines, Do’s and Don’ts. Click the Option “Online Application for New PAN (Form49A)”
Step2: Scroll down to the bottom and select Individual as the Category of Applicant in the Apply for a new PAN Card drop down menu.
Click on Select.
Step3- Form 49A opens, fill the form as per the instructions given. In case of any doubt, you may refer the guidelines & instruction.
All the fields are pretty much clear and self-explanatory. Hint or guide to fill the fields is given in bracket wherever required.
The fields like Full Name, gender, date of birth, address, etc. are self-explanatory, but take utmost care while selecting the correct documents you will be submitting along with the application, from the drop-down menu in point 15 on the form.
Step4- Fill in Payment Details
Once you’ve filled in all the details of Form49A, select an appropriate payment method at the end of the form.
PAN Application Processing Fees
Fees for processing PAN application depend on communication address of applicants.
If communication address is within India
The fee for processing PAN application is Rs. 107/- (Rs. 93 + 15.00% service tax).
Mode of Payment: DD, Credit Card/Debit Card, Net Banking
If communication address is outside India
The fee for processing PAN application is Rs. 994/- (Rs. 93 + Dispatch Charges Rs. 771 +15.00% service tax).
Mode of Payment: Credit Card/Debit Car, DD
Note: DD should be drawn in favour of ‘NSDL – PAN’, payable at Mumbai. Acknowledgement number must be mentioned on the back side of the DD.
Click Submit once you select appropriate payment method.
Step5- Review of filled in Form49A details
Review all the details in your form. Make sure all spellings are correct and enter the Captcha code, then click Confirm.
Step6- Make Payment of Processing Fees
Now you’ll see a page with payment terms and conditions. Note down the transaction number at the top of the page and click Agree.
Complete the payment step.
Step7- Save & Print Acknowledgement
You’ll now see an acknowledgement form. This has a unique 15-digit acknowledgement number. Save & print this acknowledgement.
Affix two recent color photographs (with white background) of yours on the printout copy of the acknowledgement (in the space provided).
Note: It is to be noted that photographs should not be stapled or clipped to the acknowledgement. The clarity of image on PAN card would depend on the quality of photograph affixed on the acknowledgement.
Duly sign or use left thumb Impression (as the case may be) within the box provided in the acknowledgement form.
Step8– Put the duly signed acknowledgement form, affixed with photograph along with required supporting documents [DD (if any), proof of – fees payment, identity, address and date of birth as specified in the application form] in an envelope.
Super scribes the envelope, i.e., write on the envelope, “APPLICATION FOR PAN – Your Acknowledgement No”. You will mention your unique 15-digit acknowledgement number.
Post it to NSDL at:
‘Income Tax PAN Services Unit, NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016’
Acknowledgement form must reach NSDL within 15 days from the date of online application.
They’ll send the PAN card to your communication address after processing the application.
Tracking the Status of PAN Application
Once you have done with filing of online application & sending the acknowledgement along with required supporting documents to the physical address of NSDL office, you may track the status of application in following ways:
For tracking the Status of application you may log on to https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/index.html
Or Click here Track Your PAN Application Status
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited,
5th floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411016
Tracking through SMS
You may track the status of your application through SMS as well. To obtain the status on SMS-
Type NSDLPAN <space>Your Acknowledgement No and send it to 57575.